Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Operation Actually Take My Cover-Up Off At The Beach: Day One



Well, after months of talking about it, my Whole30 has finally commenced and I made it through the first day!  Fun new fact: eating well makes you feel superior to everyone around you. Coworkers brought in cookies and I found myself looking down upon them for succumbing to sugar, like I didn't have a cadbury egg in bed literally the night before. So basically vegetables = unwarranted condescension.

Arrested Development Disdain animated GIF

Overall I felt pretty good - a little run down but I think that has more to do with my #obeseskiweekend than my one day of healthy eating choices, lets be honest. Here's the nitty gritty:

Breakfast:
2 cups black coffee
2 poached eggs on raw baby spinach
Deliciousness:
Pretty good, could be better. Next time I might try wilting the spinach in some garlic and a little ghee, since it was a little too healthy tasting for my liking.

parks and recreation animated GIF
You suck, spinach.

Lunch:
Leftover Paleo Chicken NoNoodle Soup
Deliciousness:
Seriously, so good.
emma stone animated GIF

I made it the night before since I was coming down from previously mentioned #obeseskiweekend and wanted something simple with basic ingredients.  I used a rotisserie chicken to save time which I would highly recommend (but beware of bones! They can be sneaky with whole chickens...I haven't encountered any but Chris is convinced I'm trying to murder him and make it look like an accident), and also doubled the garlic and added some thyme and crushed red chili peppers for a little extra kick, but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. There are under 10 ingredients which is awesome, and since I wanted to show how easy it is I took some pics:

That stuff on the far right? Acts like noodles! Turnip for what!
I hate myself.
The finished product - so colorful! So satisfying!

Can't recommend that soup enough. Only thing I would do differently is to maybe bring more of it for lunch or add a side since I was so hungry by 5 I decided to skip the gym in favor of rushing home and making dinner. But don't worry, karma got me on that one and trapped me on the 5 train for a solid hour behind an old man in bowler hat who leaned against me so hard I was spooning him standing up. On the plus side, my aggravation juxtaposed with my need to respect elders caused my hands to break into a pretty severe sweat which must have burned a few cals, right?

Dinner:
A few bites of Easy Crockpot Applesauce (made without the sugar, obvi) before I started cooking because I was HANGRY.
hungry animated GIF

Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Thighs
Roasted Asparagus 
Recipe: Just put asparagus spears on a baking sheet with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and put them in the oven for about 40 minutes at 375 - the time the chicken is baking also. Take out once after 20 minutes to shake around and put back in the oven for the remaining 20 minutes. They got crispy which was an accident but turned out to be amazing and was my favorite part of dinner!)
Mashed Cauliflower
Recipe: Steam a bunch of cauliflower florets and 4-5 whole peeled pieces of garlic for 20-30 minutes until the cauliflower mashes to the touch. Then use an immersion blender (or a real blender in batches) to puree and add some ghee, salt and pepper.  It tastes just like mashed potatoes!!!

Deliciousness:
Scrumptious!!  Chicken thighs are my new thang...if you're like me and think chicken breasts are kind of gross, dry, and bland then trust me, chicken thighs are your answer. Mix it with rosemary, garlic, and prosciutto and it's what I like to call foolproof. Also, cauliflower. It is truly magical and can be a substitute for anything from mashed potatoes, rice, or cream sauces.  You will see a lot of it in these next 30 days so get used to it and embrace the cauli!

That's all she ate, folks! See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment