Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Is This Stupid Diet Even Worth It? Days Ten, Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen

Hi! Ok, I'm sorry for taking so long to post again, but I have been super cranky over this diet and haven't been in the mood to write fun, uplifting, funny posts. I was going to just wait it out until I felt better but then my friend told me this is exactly the kind of thing I should be writing about, so in the interest of full disclosure, I will get super real with you right now about my struggles. If you are thinking about doing a Whole30 and don't want to read a few paragraphs of venting without a happy ending, maybe just skip this post.

So. I have been on this diet for almost 2 weeks now, and I'm just not seeing the results I was expecting. The first week was great with my 6 lb weight loss, but this week I not only tried to cut back on the bacon and watch my portions, I also worked out 5 times, didn't cheat at all, and somehow gained back 2 lbs!  HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE??
kristen wiig animated GIF

And what is really annoying me is the fact that I haven't even had one sip of an alcoholic beverage. It's not the food that is becoming cumbersome (although that kind of is, too), it's the fact that I can't enjoy a glass of wine with my friends at dinner, or have a beer while I watch the Superbowl. I actually have zero desire to overindulge with drinking at all, I just want to have one or two socially like a normal person.

A boozy brunch!! I look back on this and am
reminded of a time when I used to smile and laugh.
Basically, at first this was fun because it was new and changes in my body were happening rapidly, but now that I'm in the thick of it and not much is happening it really sucks. Don't worry, I'm not going to quit or anything - writing this blog is making me accountable to see this through - just know that if it wasn't for you readers I would be living out my current fantasies of drunkenly doing kareoke while eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a king-sized drumstick ice cream cone simutaneously.
evil laugh animated GIF

So once again, I'm sorry to be such a downer after a long wait for a blog post. I'm sure this is just a normal part of detoxing and my sparkling personality will bounce back soon.  Until then, here is a list of everything I ate so you can know my pain.


THURSDAY
Breakfast:
Scrambled eggs
Lunch:
Leftover Soy Glazed Roast Chicken with leftover Cauliflower Mash and Roasted Broccoli
Dinner:
Chris cooked! He made his own Red Thai Curry. 
Recipe:
Garlic – 3 cloves chopped
Ginger root – thumbsized bit chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1-2 tbsp Red Thai curry paste
Olive oil
1 lb Chicken
1 can Coconut Milk
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 cup Pineapple
Veggies – I like Peppers, Water Chestnuts, bamboo shoots
1 thai chilli (birdseye or finger are other names)

Heat wok or other large skillet on medium-high and add olive oil. Add chopped garlic and ginger and cook for one minute. Then add the red thai paste and cook off again for another minute - this heats the paste & starts to release the oils etc in the spices. Add the onion and cook again for a minute or two, then add the chopped (and de-seeded!) chili pepper, followed by the chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally to make sure the chicken doesn't burn. Finally add the coconut milk, the fish sauce, a little thai basil & kafir lime leaf if you have it, and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Then add the veggies and pineapple and let them simmer as well until they are heated through, but not soft. Serve by itself or over some cauliflower rice.
Delciousness:
The thai food was amazing and it was so nice to have a break from the kitchen! If you are craving something healthy but sick of grilled chicken and a side of vegetables, then this is it!


FRIDAY
Breakfast:
Scrambled eggs
Lunch:
Leftover Soy Glazed Roast Chicken with leftover Cauliflower Mash
Dinner:
We ordered in!  It was FREEZING on Friday night and I didn't feel like going to the store, so we had Indian food delivered.
Delciousness:
I bet a reason I am so cranky is that I kept eating that damn Soy Chicken even though it sucked!  Also, the only Indian food I really like is tikka masala, which unfortunately is cream-based, so I had to order a normal curry. It was good, but without rice and naan to soak up the sauce it was kind of unsatisfying. We also branched out with some vegetable sides we had never tried before, and they were underwhelming. I really miss carbs.

SATURDAY
Breakfast:
Banana before the gym, then an Equinox smoothie after that had a banana, strawberry, almond milk, and flaxseeds. I actually was that person that asked to see the almond milk they used to make sure it had no sugar or soy. It was embarrassing.
Lunch:
Brunch at Edwards! I had the cobb salad without cheese and a coffee. Kristin had a glass of rose and an omelet with cheese and I was in serious danger of causing a scene, I was so jealous.

But on the plus side, Chris stuck on the diet with me and had a virgin bloody mary which he called a "bloody shame", so that made me lol. Also my salad was scrumptious - if you're ever looking for a casual lunch in Tribeca, go to Edward's, it's a gem.
Dinner:
Saturdays seem to be a challenge for us when it comes to dinner. Once again, we couldn't agree and ended up making separate meals. I was STARVING and hadn't had eggs yet that day so I was craving a big breakfast for dinner, and Chris wanted something "light, like a salad." So I said F that and made myself a bomb breakfast dinner of poached eggs, sweet potato hash browns, and bacon. It was everything I had hoped for and more.
smile animated GIF

SUNDAY
Breakfast:
I had the exact same thing I had for dinner the night before with some roasted asparagus as a welcome addition. I was actually in a good mood on Sunday morning, as you can see.

Lunch/Dinner
Since it was the Superbowl we had some people over and made a ton of food, so I didn't really sit down to a separate lunch and dinner. Here are some things we had:
Beanless Chili
Dry Rubbed Ribs
Hot Wings (ordered in)
Delciousness:
The chili with olives instead of beans was surprisingly good! It had a distinct Mexican flavor and I served it with some guacamole on top which was new for me, but so delicious I will continue to use guac instead of sour cream even when I'm not doing whole30 anymore. Hot wings and ribs were great too - they felt like a treat. What didn't feel like a treat was drinking iced tea while everyone else had beer and wine and cheesy dip with french bread. That was the opposite of a treat.
angry animated GIF

Sigh. That's enough negativity for today. I'll write again tomorrow about Monday & Tuesday, and promise to give you some positives! Plus, I will officially be at the halfway point! See ya then!

No comments:

Post a Comment